Samsung Galaxy Y is a very old and affordable Android device. But Samsung did not bring the official update in its Android version for Galaxy Young. The phone still comes with Android GingerBread OS. It’s even not updated to ICS or Jellybean. But many Android developers come with their own custom ROM based on the Android 4.4 Kitkat. You can also Update Samsung Galaxy Y to Kitkat.
Checklist Before Installing Custom ROM
- First, check your Device Model number from Settings>>About Phone. And make sure it is GT-S5360
- Make sure your phone is Rooted.
- Your phone must have the latest CWM/TWRP installed.
- Your Phone must be 80% charge at-least.
- You must backup all your important data.
- USB Debugging must be On in your device ( To turn it on navigate to Settings>>Manage Application>>Development>>USB Debugging ).
Guide to Update Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S5360 to Android 4.4 KitKat
FOR CWM USERS
Step 1: Boot Into Recovery Mode
- Power Off Your Device and wait till it completely turns off.
- Press and Hold Volume Up+Home+ Power Button together to land your phone in Recovery mode.
Step 2: Installing CWM Recovery
- Select Install Update From SDCard
- Then Locate the CWM zip file and Select it
Wait for a while to complete the installation of CWM.
Step 3: Flashing Kernel
- Now in CWM Recovery, Select Install Zip from Sdcard
- Then Select Chose Zip from SD card
- Then locate and select the Kernel Zip file
- Confirm Installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. Wait till it completes the installation.
- No Go back and Select Advanced. Then Select Reboot Recovery.
Step 4: Creating Nandroid Backup
Note: It’s a optional process but very important. As anything goes wrong you can restore to the original state.
- Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
Step 5: Cleaning up Device
- Select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset then confirm it.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition then confirm it.
Step 6: Flashing ROM
- To flash ROM select Install ZIP then Chose ZIP from SD Card. Then browse your ROM file and select it.
Step 7: Flashing Gapps
- To flash Gapps select Install ZIP then Chose ZIP from SD Card. Then browse your Gapps file and select it.
Step 8: Rebooting
- Now from the recovery menu chose Reboot System Now.
Congratulation! You have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy Y to Android 4.4 KitKat.