TWRP or TeamWin Recovery Project is a full touch-based recovery, now you need not press volume and power button for controlling. Earlier it was only developed for Nexus devices but now it rolled out for many smartphones and tablet as well. With its modern GUI, it is very easy to work in recovery mode in comparison with CWM. Here in this post, you can learn how to Install a TWRP Recovery on Android Phone.
As Android is an Open source project. So the developer uses the original source to develop their own custom recovery like CWM or TWRP etc. In custom recovery, you will have more control over your device. you can install any official and unofficial ROMs and their updates. You can select while you wipe, so you don’t have to delete all data. Manage backup and restore and much more.
TWRP Recovery Features
- Ability to save custom recovery settings
- Touchscreen is driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
- XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout – true theming!
- Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
- Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
- Ability to choose to compress backups – now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times.
How to Install a TWRP Recovery
The installation process of TWRP recovery is very simple for most of the devices using GooManager app. But this method requires root access. But in other methods like Fashboot, you do not require rooting access. Besides that there another method also i.e FlashImage.
Method 1: Using GooManager
1. First, ensure that your device is rooted. If not check our rooting guide.
and Install Goo Manager on your Device. This app will help you to download and install
ROMs, Google Apps packages, TWRP Recovery kernels, apps, and any other file available on Goo.im website.
3. Now run the GooManager app on your device.
4. Tap Menu Option then tap on Install Open Recovery Script. Then tap Yes to confirm it.
5. Now it will Download and Install the available TWRP Recovery for your device.
6. Once it gets installed you can check it by booting into recovery. Now again Go to the menu option and tap Reboot Recovery option.
Done! It’s that simple to install TWRP using GooManager.
Method 2: Install using Fastboot
To use this method you must have ADB
and Android SDK
installed on your computer. And this method requires manual searching and downloading of recovery file. So before you begin you must download compatible TWRP recovery for your device. Check TWRP Download Page
1. Now extract the recovery image on your C drive (not any folder). It should be .img file after extract.
2. Power off your Android device and boot it into Fastboot mode.
3. Now connect your Android device to PC via USB. Wait till you see Fastboot USB on the screen.
4. Now Run Command Prompt and type: fastboot flash recovery c:recovery_name.img
5. Wait till process get completed and reboot your device when completed.
Method 3: Flash Image
Like the above method, this method also requires some advanced setup. Like ADB
, so first you complete setting up ADB. And also make sure your phone is rooted. Then proceed with the method. But before you begin you must download compatible TWRP recovery for your device. Check TWRP Download Page
2. Now extract the recovery image on your C drive (not any folder). It should be .img file after extract.
3. Now connect your Android device to PC via USB.
4. Now Run Command Prompt and type :
adb push c:flashimage /sdcard/
adb push c:recovery_filename.img /sdcard/
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flashimage /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery_filename.img
5. Reboot your device and disconnect USB.
Now you have done installing custom recovery on your Android device. Now you can reboot into recovery and can install custom ROM and can do much more.
We love your feedback. Please post it into the comment section